Science 8 builds on understandings from previous grade levels to learn about the physical world around them as well as their own bodies. In addition to observation and problem solving skills, learners develop their communication skills through making connections and sharing their findings in an organized manner. Through assigned readings, videos, and labs/activities, students will have the opportunity to not only learn more about the world around them and the technology we have available to us, but also to assess our impact upon our world and how we can work toward a more sustainable future.
Each unit will have either a unit exam or a final unit project. Learners are expected to maintain a science journal in addition to their regular notes and assignments as they explore the fields of life science, physical science, and geological science.
Units of Study
- Cells, Tissues, Organs, Systems
- Optics and Vision
- Forces, Fluids and Density
- Water Systems on Earth
Resources Supplied by the DLC
- E-text – Pearson Science 8 Saskatchewan Edition, Boulton, J., et al.
- Unit workbook - online
- Simple microscopy materials/lens by request
Resources Obtained by Student
- Basic household materials and consumables (for labs)
- Notebook (for science journal)