The Core French Curriculum is created by language levels and not by grade levels. Level 1 is the beginning level for Core French study, regardless of the actual grade level of learners.
Core French Level 1 introduces learners to the very basics of the French language. The focus will be on becoming familiar with spoken characteristics of the language through a variety of hands-on, theme-based listening and speaking activities. Throughout the eight units of study, learners will learn theme-based vocabulary and sentence structure to better understand, use, and appreciate the French language and cultures.
Due to the speaking/listening nature of this course, it is NOT available as a Print-Based course. Learners, with the help of their Learning Mentor if applicable, will need to access and interact with the course’s audio and visual content and will be required to record audio and/or visual as part of the speaking parts of this course
IMPORTANT NOTE: This course is NOT a high school credit course. It does follow Saskatchewan curriculum, but is developed as an elementary course. Learners cannot receive high school credit for this course.
Units of Study
- Calendar, Colours, and Shapes (Le calendrier, les couleurs et les formes)
- Greetings (Les salutations)
- Classroom Routines and Objects (Les routines et objets de la salle de classe)
- Pets (Les animaux domestiques)
- My Body (Mon corps)
- Winter Clothes (Les vêtements d’hiver)
- Fruits and Vegetables (Les fruits et légumes)
- School Transportation (La transportation scolaire)
Resources Supplied by the DLC
Resources Obtained by Student
Video-recording device (such as a smart phone or tablet)