REGISTRATIONS FOR THIS COURSE WILL CLOSE ON SEPT. 11, 2018
AP English Literature and Composition is a college-level course designed to expose students to an extensive range of literature, as well as fulfilling the credit requirements for ELA A30 and ELA B30.
This course teaches advanced critical thinking, analytical and composition skills. Students will be asked to consider a work's structure, style, themes, as well as figurative language, imagery, symbolism and tone.
For general Advanced Placement information including exam fees and where to write the exam click here.
Credits EarnedSuccessful completion of this course will prepare you for the AP English Literature and Composition exam, to be written in early May, and earn students the ELA A30 and ELA B30 high school credits. After the exam students may need to complete supplemental modules for topics not covered during the AP Exam preparations. If you attempt the AP Exam you will have an AP designation for both ELA A30 and ELA B30 on your transcript; otherwise, you will receive the regular high school credits. Other important details about Advanced Placement (AP) lie below the Course Description. All students considering AP should read all of these details.
If you are not registered with the Sun West School Division, or are 22 years of age or older, then this course will cost $1000 as there are two 100 hour credits associated.
Units of Study
Resources Supplied by the DLC
- Medea – Euripides
- The Taming of the Shrew – William Shakespeare
- Hamlet – William Shakespeare
- Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead – Tom Stoppard
- The Occupation of Heather Rose – Wendy Lill
- Frankenstein – Mary Shelley
- The Orenda – Joseph Boyden
Resources Obtained by Student
- Audio recording equipment (a SMART phone will be sufficient)
- Microphone or audio recorder (webcam optional but encouraged)
- Student choice novel of a canonical work or a work of comparable literary merit
Suggested Career Pathways
- Editor (Freelance, Magazine, Newspaper)
- Teacher or Professor
- Script Writer
- Announcer or Broadcast Journalist