The Sun West School Division Board of Education is extremely supportive of leadership opportunities for all students and therefore sponsors a group of approximately 6-7 students and 2 staff advisors to take part in the Canadian Student Leadership Conference (CSLC).This year the conference is being held in Alberta.It begins with a preconference from September 22-25, 2018 in Jasper, with the main conference being held in Edmonton from September 25th to 29th, 2018.
In the past there has been a large interest from Sun West students to attend these conferences. To keep it equitable for all applicants and provide for those who have not had the opportunity to attend, a selection committee has been established. Preference may be given to students who have not received Board funding to attend a CSLC event in the last two years.
Applications for Board sponsored student delegates are to be submitted by email to email@example.com by March 7th, 2018 at 12:00 NOON.The committee will contact successful applicants by March 14, 2018 – so advisors can begin the registration process.
Student applicants must be attending Grades 9-12 in the 2018-19 school year as per CSLC policy. Preference may be given to those students who have never attended the CSLC event before
*APPLICANTS WHO HAVE ATTENDED CSLC EITHER WITH THEIR SCHOOL OR THROUGH SUN WEST SCHOOL DIVISION IN THE LAST YEAR, MUST INDICATE THAT ON THEIR APPLICATION FORM.
We do encourage all students who are interested to apply!
- Students must submit via email, (a minimum of 500 words) explaining the following:
- What do your leadership efforts look like?
- What previous experience, in a leadership capacity, do you have - either in or out of school?
- What will this CSLC experience mean to you?
- Applicants must indicate whether or not you have/have CSLC before and if so when you attended.
- Must provide a reference letter from an SRC/SLC Advisor or Administrator outlining why you should be selected as a Sun West School Division representative at this event.
(Describe details of significant involvements and provide examples of commitment, planning, seeing something through from the original idea to the clean-up and reflection at the end, etc. and what these involvements have meant to you.)
(Things to consider might be the number of events you participate in, the number of groups/teams you belong to, the number of times you did something that made a positive impact, etc.)
(What you hope to obtain? How do you plan to make a difference in your school or beyond as a result of your attendance at conference? How will you use what you learn and experience after the trip?How do you think this experience will benefit you and/or Sun West’s Leadership Program?)
Following the CSLC event selected students are asked to:
- Take part in the Student Leadership Seminar in the fall of 2018 and explain experience to their peers. (Students can also apply to be a member of our Student Leadership Program)
- Present to the Board of Education in person about experience.
If you have any questions please contact Linda Klassen at firstname.lastname@example.org.